Re: Connection Header

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 16:30:00 PST
To: robm@neon.mcom.com
Cc: john@math.nwu.edu, frystyk@www0.cern.ch, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
First, the problem of 'old proxy' systems isn't a particularly serious
design constraint; it's reasonable that if anyone gets a new client,
you tell them that it doesn't work with old proxies. After all, the
client->proxy protocol isn't the same as the client->server protocol,
since client->proxy sends the entire URL etc.

I keep on thinking that if we're going to some kind of session-based
scheme, we should also look for changes that would allow other
features that are only possible when you have sessions, e.g., the
ability of a server to spontaneously update the page the client is
looking at. This is a requirement for a lot of collaborative activity
services where you can (in real time) interact with the remote
service.