Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

From: Eric W. Sink <eric@spyglass.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:59:58 -0600
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Dave Kristol wrote:

>My tastes (obviously) run to a more evolutionary approach for HTTP.  I'm
>unconvinced that the performance problems require a flash cut to a binary
>protocol.  Spero has shown that doing multiple transactions over one
>connection achieves signficant performance improvements.  His response is
>to change HTTP drastically.  Mine is to do so within the current overall
>design.

Agree.  It certainly does seem that most of the performance improvements
made by HTTP-NG could also be made in HTTP-TOS, with a simple modification
to allow multiple objects to be retrieved/posted over a single TCP/IP
connection.

Are we really willing to switch to something totally different and
incompatible, just to eke that last 10% speed improvement?  I'm skeptical.

--
Eric W. Sink, Senior Software Engineer --  eric@spyglass.com
                                           I don't speak for Spyglass.