Re: HTTP Caching Model?

From: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@neon.mcom.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 17:08:54 -0800 (PST)
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>
Cc: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> 7.9 URI Header
>
> The URI-header field contains a URI by which the object may be
> found. It should not be confused with the token in the Request-Line
> described in Section 5.4. As for a normal request, there is no
> guarantee that the object can be retrieved using the URI
> specified. The field is normally a part of a response having
> Status-Code "301 Moved Permanently" or "302 Moved Temporarily".
>
> URI-header      =       "URI" ":" 1#( URI [";" vary] )
> vary    =        "vary" "=" <"> 1#vary-param <">
> vary-param      =       "type" / "language" / "version" / "encoding"
>         /       extension-vary
> extension-vary  =       token

A very good proposal -- definitely the best so far.  Thanks for
bringing it to the daylight, Dan.  I knew it was there, but couldn't
find it anymore.  Somebody set this in stone and I for one wouldn't
have problems following it; the current situation is threateningly
fragile.

Cheers,
--
Ari Luotonen				Netscape's Mr October 1995
Netscape Communications Corp.		http://home.mcom.com/people/ari/