401 Unauthorized - can I use it?

From: Mary Ellen Zurko <zurko@osf.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 94 14:51:54 EST
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Do you have to require that the 401 Unauthorized be tied to the Basic
Authentication Scheme? If so, will you be loosening it up in the
future? I'd like to use that return code in our DCE Web work. However,
the client should not retry; we got all the information we needed to
make an authorization decision with the original client request. What
status is sent when you use the basic authentication scheme and the
client is still unauthorized, even after she has sent a valid
password?
	Mez