Re: Comments on HTTP draft [of 23 Nov 1994]

From: Ari Luotonen <luotonen@neon.mcom.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 10:15:16 -0800 (PST)
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU, mfc@vnet.ibm.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

> > I believe proxies require Full-Requests.  Ari?
> > I do not believe it is possible to remove that requirement, though perhaps
> > we should require that HTTP/1.0 clients never generate a Simple-Request.
>
> I occurs to me that one current use of the Simple Request is in the
> hack that allows links to HTML documents to be served up for WWW clients
> on gopher servers. These are gopher links that are defined something like:

Oh 0.9 support on server side is very useful.  You wouldn't believe
the number of complaints I had at the time the proxy always spit out
HTTP1, regardless of the request version.  There are
scripts/utils/wanderers/foobars that want to contact a server and not
bother with parsing the header, and a Simple-Request is an easy way to
get rid of the header in the first place.

Every server should support both 0.9 and 1.0.  Clients are another
story.

-- Cheers, Ari --