Re: Two proposals for HTTP/2.0

From: <hallam@axal04.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 17:28:03 +0100
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

>I agree! Proxy servers perform a completely different function from
>"regular" servers and in my opinion, are more properly termed "proxy
>clients". With the advent of caching clients like NetScape, making
>allowances in HTTP for proxy servers may become less of requirement except
>at sites where there are evil firewalls that only allow the proxy in and
>out.

I disagree very strongly here. Security proxies such as the TIS proxy are
rather different to what the CERN proxy server provides. Here there is a
primitive version of an item I beleive represents the future of the Web,
a caching relay server. The name proxy is a misnomer. Client side caqches
help but only to a small extent. Client side caches cannot be safely
shared in most circumstances.

Phill H-B