Re: Mandatory MIME security

At 10:59 AM -0800 11/7/02, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Thursday, November 7, 2002, 10:47:42 AM, you wrote:
>Paul> At 12:34 PM -0500 11/7/02, Keith Moore wrote:
>Paul> Dave is absolutely right: the IETF should pick one for protocols to
>Paul> use in IETF standards.
>
>I did not make or imply any such recommendation.

Whoops, sorry. I took the meaning of your draft to say that you
wanted the IETF to do something.

>Yes, I said that juggling two is a problem.

OK.

>But I also said that the market is clearly unwilling to choose one.

OK. But we disagree about what the market is. The market of protocol
developers have leaned strongly towards PKIX and away from OpenPGP
authentication.

>Therefore having the IETF try to choose one is both arbitrary and contrary.

Here, we disagree. The IETF can choose one based on what the vendors
who will have to implement the standard want.

>There is no clear basis for making a global choice for one of them.  And
>there is clear market feedback that neither is preferred by a rough
>consensus of that market.

If you mean "email users" as the market, we definitely agree. If you
mean "the protocols that need to have security", we don't agree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium