Re: Mandatory MIME security

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:59:34 -0800
To: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
CC: discuss@apps.ietf.org

Paul,

Paul> At 12:34 PM -0500 11/7/02, Keith Moore wrote:
Paul> Dave is absolutely right: the IETF should pick one for protocols to
Paul> use in IETF standards.

I did not make or imply any such recommendation.

Yes, I said that juggling two is a problem.

But I also said that the market is clearly unwilling to choose one.

Therefore having the IETF try to choose one is both arbitrary and contrary.

There is no clear basis for making a global choice for one of them.  And
there is clear market feedback that neither is preferred by a rough
consensus of that market.

A standards group that ignores market feedback is a standards group that is
irrelevant to the market.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>