Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery

From: Claudio Allocchio <Claudio.Allocchio@garr.it>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:45:30 +0100
To: John Ibbotson <john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com>
cc: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>, Discuss Apps <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, Richard P King <rpk@us.ibm.com>

> different transports can be implemented. The choice of HTTP in our
> requirements comes about from customer feedback. In spite of the
> deficiencies of HTTP, it is the de-facto infrastructure on the Web and
> adding reliability to it is seen as important.

... well, in this spirit we should also take care of adding reliability or
other nice features to a number of existing (and in my opinion deprecable)
de-facto services, applications, etc,... just because they're used by
most of the (unfortunately) illetarate majority of users of the network
adopting well know operating systems and "solutions"

(no, I did not mentioned their names...! lawyers could be around...)

:-)

I - still - prefer the idea to build reliable and efficient services and
protocols, which maybe will replace the broken or simply inadequate ones at
some time in the future...

My two cents of engineering idealism...

Regards,
Claudio