Re: Requirements for reliable message delivery

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:21:57 -0500 (EST)
To: john_ibbotson@uk.ibm.com (John Ibbotson)
Cc: brian@hursley.ibm.com (Brian E Carpenter), discuss@apps.ietf.org (Discuss Apps), rpk@us.ibm.com (Richard P King)
Hi John,

> The choice of HTTP in our
> requirements comes about from customer feedback. In spite of the
> deficiencies of HTTP, it is the de-facto infrastructure on the Web and
> adding reliability to it is seen as important.

I don't disagree that reliability is important, but assuming that HTTP
is a transport protocol is a very easy way to do the wrong thing with
it.  HTTP defines an application model, which much more narrowly
constrains how reliability fits in than is the case with a transport
protocol.  Both HTTPR and the requirements draft do not respect this
model.

For more on this, see;

http://internet.conveyor.com/RESTwiki/moin.cgi/RestArchitecturalStyle

MB