Re: Why the Web?

From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:36:24 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> In any case, HTTPR is a silly idea because it attempts to use HTTP as
> a transport protocol, which is a total waste of bits.

This started as a convsersation about requirements, not solutions.

However, since you mention a solution: as far as I know, the
layering of HTTPR over HTTP/POST is a pragmatic choice and it could
be layered over a real transport just as well. But real transports
aren't known for penetrating firewalls either.

   Brian