Re: Use ofHTTP to pass firewalls

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:29:56 -0400
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com>
cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Jacob Palme <jptest@dsv.su.se>, discuss@apps.ietf.org, Kristine Andersen <kristineandersen@hotmail.com>, Christer Backman <asphalt_world@hotmail.com>, Fredrik Björck <bjorck@dsv.su.se>, Mats Wiklund <matsw@dsv.su.se>, Sead Muftic <sead@dsv.su.se>
> > in a nutshell, my view is that if people are using a web browser
> > on the client end to view the content, then it's reasonable to use
> > port 80 on the server end.
> >
> > otherwise, it's probably not reasonable to use port 80.
>
> Right.  Port 80 is reserved for the Web, not HTTP.

well, I'm assuming that they're using something that resembles HTTP.

I don't think it's reasonable to use port 80 for arbitrary protocols,
whether or not you can consider such protocols part of "the web".

Keith

p.s. does "the web" have a definition?  In my mind "the web" includes
anything that can be named with a URI, which is most of the Internet...