Re: Use ofHTTP to pass firewalls

--On 08/09/2001 3:29 PM -0400 Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:

>> Right.  Port 80 is reserved for the Web, not HTTP.
>
> well, I'm assuming that they're using something that resembles HTTP.
>
> I don't think it's reasonable to use port 80 for arbitrary protocols,
> whether or not you can consider such protocols part of "the web".
>
> Keith
>
> p.s. does "the web" have a definition?  In my mind "the web" includes
> anything that can be named with a URI, which is most of the Internet...

Hmmm....I only use the wording "the web" is only used for the subset of
what is transported over the http protocol, can be named with a http URI,
and accessed with a "web browser" -- PLUS "embedded content" in the
webpages which the user is accessing -- PLUS accompanying things like
WEBDAV abilities to edit that data documents.

I.e. "the web" is for me a subset of what you think is the web.

Interesting...

   paf