Re: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

From: Michiel Toneman <michiel@apenstaartje.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:06:33 +0100
To: Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl>
CC: www-smil@w3.org, discuss@apps.ietf.org
Jack Jansen wrote:

>> The rationale for picking audio/basic was that it
>> is widely supported in SMIL players today, and doesn't
>> require paying a license fee.
>>
>> If you know of another license-free, widely
>> supported audio format with better
>> characteristics than audio/basic, that may be
>> interesting.
>

> AIFF could be an alternative. If I remember correctly there are different
> mimetypes for aiff (uncompressed) and aifc (compressed) the aiff format
> doesn't suffer of the WAV problem of having a gazillion different options for
> compression scheme. It does (theoretically?) allow for choices in samplesize,
> sampleencoding (int/float/ulaw) and such, but at least it isn't open-ended.

How about the Ogg/Vorbis format?

It doesn't suffer from the horrendous patenting/licencing issues
associated with MPEG1 layer 3/ TwinVQ / AAC etc...

It is also already supported by many encoders/decoders, and is set to be
the format of the future. Disadvantage for your purpose may be that like
JPEG/MPEG/etc.. it is a lossy compression format (don't know if that is
relevant).

See:

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html