Re: 3GPP-T-WG3 codecs

From: Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:28:25 +0100
To: ph@w3.org
Cc: thierry michel <tmichel@w3.org>, www-smil@w3.org, discuss@apps.ietf.org, Glenn Parsons <gparsons@nortelnetworks.com>
> The rationale for picking audio/basic was that it
> is widely supported in SMIL players today, and doesn't
> require paying a license fee.
>
> If you know of another license-free, widely
> supported audio format with better
> characteristics than audio/basic, that may be
> interesting.

AIFF could be an alternative. If I remember correctly there are different
mimetypes for aiff (uncompressed) and aifc (compressed) the aiff format
doesn't suffer of the WAV problem of having a gazillion different options for
compression scheme. It does (theoretically?) allow for choices in samplesize,
sampleencoding (int/float/ulaw) and such, but at least it isn't open-ended.