RE: need a reviewer (or three) for draft-cai-ssdp-v1-00.txt

Actually, I was very unhappy with SIP for reasons I doubt you would agree
with. =) I thought SIP should have just run on top of HTTP/1.1. In fact, I
wrote up an entire series of posts explaining exactly how to do this.

The point I was making, however, is that adding (unicast | multicast) UDP
support to HTTP is a very natural progression as demonstrated by SIP.

In generally I have found HTTP to be a wonderful platform to leverage and
far from finding myself having to do weird things in order to keep
everything working I have, more often than not, found that HTTP already
provides 99% of whatever I need and I only need to add a tiny extra bit to
get me where I want to go. I also find that when I add that 1% in one place,
I end up re-using that 1% over and over again in many other places.

In fact I have only one serious complaint about HTTP, which has nothing to
do with the spec. Most systems put very severe restrictions on the size of
HTTP headers (2k or less is common). So I often find myself having to put
information into the body of a request that I would have much rather put
into a header.

Outside of that, I am an extremely satisfied customer of HTTP and definitely
intend to continue investing in it.

		Yaron

P.S. As for HTTP's complexity. HTTP itself is an unbelievably simple
protocol. The problem is that it has inherited a lot of cruft over the
years, 99.99% of which is optional and not widely supported. I believe that
what the world really needs is a re-written version of the HTTP spec. One
organized into a more rational structure which shows the true beauty of
HTTP's layered architecture. I would be willing to bet that one could write
a spec providing the absolute bare minimum information needed to create a
compliant client/proxy/server in 20 pages.