RE: Tamino WebDAV Server's PUT implementation

From: Jeffrey Winter <JeffreyWinter@crd.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:33:45 -0500
To: "Pill, Juergen" <Juergen.Pill@softwareag.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>

Juergen, Julian,

Thanks for your responses.

I agree that this was perhaps more of an HTTP-specific question,
but my sense was that in the DAV world, the document fidelity
of PUT would be even more important.

I actually prefer a looser, context-specific interpretation of
the PUT semantics as it allows PUT to be more data-centric as
opposed to purely document-centric.

It's never been clear to me where the strict, byte-for-byte
entity preservation interpretation came from.  It seems folkloric.

- Jeff