RE: UPDATE semantics for checked-out resources

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 07:59:54 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
I agree with your conclusion, but I believe this follows from
the DAV:no-overwrite-by-auto-update precondition for CHECKIN, i.e.:

 If the DAV:auto-update property for the checked-out resource
 identifies a version-controlled resource, at least one of the
 versions identified by the DAV:predecessor-set property of the
 checked-out resource MUST identify a version that is either the same
 as or a descendant of the version identified by the DAV:checked-in
 property of that version-controlled resource.

If the VCR is checked-out, there is no DAV:checked-in version,
which means this precondition would not be satisfied.