RE: COPY, MOVE and VCR's

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Raymond [mailto:Peter.Raymond@merant.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2002 15:12
To: Kirmse, Daniel; Ietf-Dav-Versioning (E-mail)
Subject: RE: COPY, MOVE and VCR's

>Hi,
>[Daniel said:]
>>For COPY I'd expect to got a new VCR at the destination with an exact copy

>>of properties. This implies that the new created VCR must share the
>>version-history with the source VCR. Is this correct? Is this desirable?
>I think this is desirable and correct but with one caveat...
>Both in section 1.3 (where the workspace term is defined) and in section 6
>the DeltaV specification says that you can only have one VCR for a given
>version history in a workspace.  If copy created a new VCR but pointed to
>the original VHR then this rule could be violated if the destination is in
>the same workspace as the source of the copy.
>If the copy does not break this rule then it would be fine to have two VCRs

>pointing to the same version history.

But 3.14 states
 (DAV:copy-creates-new-resource): If the source of a COPY is a
version-controlled resource or version, and if there is no resource at the
destination of the COPY, then the COPY creates a new non-version-controlled
resource at the destination of the COPY.  The new resource MAY automatically
be put under version control, but the resulting version-controlled resource
MUST be associated with a new version history created for that new
version-controlled resource, and all postconditions for VERSION-CONTROL
apply to the request.

so there would be a new version-history for the copy-target. What is right
here???
I certainly wouldn't have thought that moving a VCR would create a new
history resource.

Regards,
Daniel