RE: Label header vs PROPFIND depth 1

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:53:45 -0400
To: "'Deltav WG'" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
I am not surprised the Label header is proving to be problematic.
The last time I tried to get rid of it (obviously unsuccessfully)
was about a year ago.

My first choice would be to deprecate the Label header altogether, and
to instead define a DAV:labeled-version report on a VCR, whose
parameters were a label and a list of property names.  The result of
this report would be the values of the specified properties on the
version selected by the specified label from the VCR identified by the
request-URL.

An alternative approach would be to deprecate the use of the Label
header with a non-zero Depth request (either because of an explicit
non-zero Depth header, or because a request is non-zero Depth by
default).

I'd be interested in responses on the following three questions:

(1) Do these approaches address the issues raised?
(2) Is there another approach that could be considered?
(3) Which approach do you prefer?

If we can get consensus on an approach, I'll add it to the RFC 3253
Errata document.