Why does MERGE automatically checkin resources related to activit ies?

From: Peter Raymond <Peter.Raymond@merant.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:38:31 +0100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Hi,

I was reading section 13 with a group of other staff in MERANT and we came
across section 13.12 which talks about automatically checking-in any
checked-out resources referenced by an activity which is specified as part
of the DAV:source set for the MERGE.

Why does MERGE behave like this for activities and not for other resources
(see the precondition DAV:cannot-merge-checked-out-resource in section 11.2.

This auto-checkin behaviour seems to add more complexity to the
implementation
of MERGE and seems to be inconsistent.  What was the use case for including
this
auto-checkin behaviour only for activities?

Regards,
--
Peter Raymond - MERANT
Principal Architect (PVCS)