RE: auto-checkout and auto-checkin

   From: John Hall [mailto:johnhall@evergo.net]

   They wouldn't.

That is correct.  The checkin would have to be done by a
versioning-aware client.

   I don't think we should define that state.  It is
   there because it mimic's the effect of the old
   auto-checkout-unlocked without an auto-checkin-unlocked.

This state is required for an important baseline use case.  In
particular, DAV:checkout will commonly be the DAV:auto-version value
for version-controlled configurations.  This allows a basic versioning
client to modify a version-controlled member of a baseline-controlled
collection (i.e. CHECKOUT/CHECKIN, UPDATE, MERGE) without creating a
new baseline for every CHECKIN/UPDATE/MERGE.  An advanced versioning
client would then be used to create a new baseline (by checking in the
version-controlled configuration).