Re: Eliminating the Label header

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:28:09 -0800
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
>    From: Vasta, John [mailto:jvasta@Rational.Com]
>    A server may have a much more efficient way to find a version with
>    a label.  If the find-labeled-version function seems useful, how
>    about adding a report for it? (The function seems useful to me; I'm
>    thinking of the number of times I want to compare two versions of
>    something, where at least one of them is denoted by a label.)
>
> Good point.  We do need to resurrect the "DAV:labeled-version" report
> (analogous to the DAV:latest-activity-version report), so you can get
> this information in an efficient standard way.

Not completely efficient... it adds a round trip.

With the Label header, I can "redirect through" the VCR and operate against
the Version Resource. Using the report, I send one request to run the report
and get the VR, then a second request to operate against the VR.

What would be really neat is a way to specify a label within an
expand-property report. For my particular use-case, that would collapse a
whole sequence of PROPFINDs into a single report. Is there any interest in
allowing this? (i.e. should I propose a syntax?)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/