RE: Eliminating the Label header

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:35:13 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
   From: Vasta, John [mailto:jvasta@Rational.Com]

   > Since the Label header is an optimization (i.e. you can use
   > PROPFIND to determine the information), this was considered the
   > appropriate response to the area directors concern.

   It seems like a pretty significant optimization. Is there any other
   way for a client to implement the "find labeled version" function
   other than getting the label-name-set property on every single
   version in a history? Yes, this can be done with a single request,
   using the version-tree report, but computing the response can be
   very expensive for a server (having thousands of versions in a
   history will not be unusual, at least in our installed base).

   A server may have a much more efficient way to find a version with
   a label.  If the find-labeled-version function seems useful, how
   about adding a report for it? (The function seems useful to me; I'm
   thinking of the number of times I want to compare two versions of
   something, where at least one of them is denoted by a label.)

Good point.  We do need to resurrect the "DAV:labeled-version" report
(analogous to the DAV:latest-activity-version report), so you can get
this information in an efficient standard way.

So I will amend the proposal to say "replace the Label header with the
DAV:labeled-version report" (note: the report does not have the Label
header internationalization problems, because the label is marshalled
as XML).