Submitting DeltaV as Informational RFC? (was: Splitting off core: where we stand)

From: Juergen Reuter <reuter@ira.uka.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 11:30:18 +0100
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
cc: reuter@ira.uka.de
Following the recent discussion about the maturity of DeltaV, I wonder if
it might be an option to submit DeltaV as an informational RFC.  On the
one hand, this might satisfy people that want to see some 'official' RFC
before starting to work on software.  On the other hand, an informational
RFC is probably much easier to change than a proposed standard RFC, which
is a standard tracks document.

Just have a look at the HTTP protocol:  As of May 1996, HTTP was still
issued as informational RFC (RFC 1945), although there had been HTTP
server implementations running since 1990, i.e. for about 6 years.  HTTP
switched to a proposed standard not earlier than in January 1997 (RFC
2068).  The bottom line here is, that HTTP became a proposed standard not
before there were many implementations available revealing all the
bugs and weaknesses of earlier HTTP protocol versions.  In my opinion,
WebDAV suffers from this experience; and DeltaV should do it better than
WebDAV!

Greetings,
            Juergen