Re: Option abuse

From: James J. Hunt <jjh@allerton.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:14:34 +0000
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
CC: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
"Geoffrey M. Clemm" wrote:

> It really doesn't matter whether we marshall this as an OPTIONS call
> or as a PROPFIND for a property.  This used to be marshalled as a
> property but a reviewer pointed out that this information seemed more
> like an option than a property.
>
> Can you give some motivation for switching this back to being a property?
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

Dear Geoff,

My understanding of an option is "does the server support x".  Properties
associate values to keys for a given resource.  Let us take
DAV:workspace-collection-set.  Especially when you say that the http namespace
can be spread over several servers, the question I ask with this tag is not do
you support workspaces, rather for a given versionable workspace, where can I
create a workspace for it?  In other words, I am asking what is the workspace
area associated with this resource.  That seems to me to be a property of that
resource, because every resource could answer it differently.

Sincerely,
James