Re: Labels and Status

From: James J. Hunt <jjh@ira.uka.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:11:31 +0100
To: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com
CC: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   > Since there are revision control systems that support
   > a status property, it would make sense to support
   > it explicitly as an option.
   > Status can not be implemented as a dead property for
   > two reason:
   >   1) a versioned resource or working resource that
   >      is updated or created by a check-out request
   >      should NOT inherit the value of the status
   >      of the version being checked out, instead it
   >      should be set to a server defined base value
   >      or left empty; and
   >   2) status should be changeable on a version without
   >      creating a new version, similar to label.

   Functionaly, labels will do it for you.
   1) They are not 'inherited' by (i.e., moved to) new versions.
   2) They do not require creating a new version to set or remove.

Labels will not "do it for me" because they are exclusive.  I can not
have two version in the same revision history with the label tested!
Label is a unique identifier and status denotes the current state of a
revision in regards to it processing.

James