Re: proppatch label-name-set?

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:49:01 -0500 (EST)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>

   Is it legal to PROPPATCH the DAV:label-name-set on a checked-out resource?
   (whether a checked-out VCR or a working resource)

Only versions have a DAV:label-name-set property, not
version-controlled resources or working resources.

   It seems feasible to me, with the caveat of possible rejection at CHECKIN
   (or MERGE) time due to a label conflict with another version in the version
   history.

The possibility of a "label conflict" is avoided by only having
labels on versions.

   Specifically, the problem that I'm considering is how to label a baseline
   before checking it in. I think that I'm also okay with labelling via a
   second request (after the checkin/merge), but that does lead to a race
   between the checkin and label that I'd like to avoid if possible.

With the current protocol, you would have to do the labeling in a
second request (after the version was created).  What is the race
condition you were concerned about?  And how would it be addressed
by allowing a label on a working baseline?