Re: Mail never hit list

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:21:17AM -0800, Mark A. Hale wrote:
> The working resource is beneficial for implementations of workspaces on the
> client.  As a server-side implementation, it is beneficial to have working
> resources created in the confines of a workspaces.

This may be fine as an implementation, but I'm hoping that you aren't
advocating it as a statement or requirement in the spec(?).

> 2) Management
> A successful WebDAV/DeltaV server will have a large number of working
> resources created and managed.  Each working resource will have a reference
> on the server and overhead for each will depend on the implementation.  Over
> time, the number of dangling working resources increases due to failed
> clients, communication problems, etc.  A workspace provides a container for
> segregating the working resources so they can be managed.  Once tasks have
> been completed, the workspace can be deleted and all working resources (and
> conceivably all residuals from merging, etc) are deleted as well.  We've
> identified that this is easier to do within a particular working confine
> (such as a workspace) that on the main branch.

As a counter-example, Subversion doesn't use workspaces, but it does the
above aggregation/management of working resources as part of an activity.
SVN administration will list all the "open" activities and when they were
last touched. Since activities are supposed to be transient within SVN
(lasting only as long enough for the client to shove stuff across the
network), it will be easy for the admin to detect "lost" activities and
delete them from the server (along with their associated working resources).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/