Re: re-use of version URL's

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:15:54 -0500 (EST)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: "Mark A. Hale" <mark.hale@interwoven.com>

   > ... but you can use the above technique to ensure that the
   > version URL's are stable, without the overhead of remembering
   > everything.

   I understand where you are coming from.  The need to remember as described
   in my example comes from the fact that the temporary resources and
   everything pertaining to them is deleted.  I am using this as a the semantic
   meaning behind the use of a temporary space for the example I posed.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  Can you restate?

In particular, you have a cheap way of guaranteeing unique version
url's by tacking a uuid to the end of the implementation name of
the object in your store.  This gives you a stable name for a version.
In addition, you have human meaningful names for versions, by
combining version-controlled resource URL's with version names and
labels.  So it looks the protocol gives you both stable names for
versions and human meaningful names for versions.