RE: re-use of version URL's

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:06:27 -0800
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>, <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
I think I agree with Mark and will try to clarify for him...

> In particular, you have a cheap way of guaranteeing unique version
> url's by tacking a uuid to the end of the implementation name of
> the object in your store.  This gives you a stable name for a version.
> In addition, you have human meaningful names for versions, by
> combining version-controlled resource URL's with version names and
> labels.  So it looks the protocol gives you both stable names for
> versions and human meaningful names for versions.

Yes, you get stable URLs (names) for versions.
Yes, you get human meaningful names, but only really for
version-controlled resources.

The phrase "human meaningful" is probably where the disconnect is.  If
you consider the following human-meaningful, then you're right.  But I
suspect Mark doesn't consider the following particularly usable.

http://www.server.com/version-space/path/filename.ext/version2/UUID10938
478691283

Lisa