RE: some comments from Chris Kaler on the versioning draft

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:41:49 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

This is too bad ... I strongly support "MUST" -- for all the reasons that
you have heard already from numerous members of the working group.

Tim

"Mark A. Hale" <mark.hale@interwoven.com> on 2001-01-02 08:59:01 PM

Please respond to mark.hale@interwoven.com

To:   ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
cc:
Subject:  RE: some comments from Chris Kaler on the versioning draft

> I talked with Chris on the phone today, and he asked for a
> change and a clarification
>
> - change the MUST to a SHOULD for the "version URL can never be re-used".
>
> Chris is concerned that various reasonable ways of getting version URL
> uniqueness have a chance of collision if a given host name is mapped
> to a new server.
>
> In general, I try to avoid SHOULD in favor of MUST whenever possible.
> Since there has been a lot of debate on this issue, I suppose I can
> live with SHOULD here.

I strongly support the use of SHOULD in this case.  Thanks for making the
change.

     Mark