RE: PROPFIND allprop with more properties (was AW: Resource class )

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:16:57 -0700
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
> Since the chances of using an existing SGML processor to parse WebDAV
> response messages is vanishingly small,

Well, I wouldn't put it past James Hunt and Jurgen Reuter (two noted
advocates for strong validity checking of DAV messages) :-)

> the only sensible approach
> would be for WebDAV to ignore this "non-binding recommendation".  For
> some reason, Section 23.3.1 of RFC 2518 (incorrectly) states that "It
> is a violation of the XML specification" to do otherwise.  Perhaps
> JimW or some other 2518 author can explain the rationale behind this?

Well, this does appear to be an error, since the requirement in the XML
specification is a "should", not a "must". If I guessed at the rationale, it
would be to keep things simple for DAV XML parsers.

- Jim