Re: "latest" resource (was: Re: PROPFIND instead of REPORT)

From: <Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:26:29 +0000
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

> Is there a way to tell a VCR to "float" with the
> latest version automatically?

No.

> I've got a strange feeling that if you CHECKOUT a
> version resource, modify it, then do a CHECKIN, that
> the VCR that pointed at the original version resource
> doesn't get auto-updated to point at the latest
> version.

You should listen to that strange feeling!  It's right.

> Is there a way to do this automatically? If not, then
> what is involved with keeping VCRs pointing at the latest?
> Do I need to issue a bazillion SET-TARGET requests?

Yup, you have to issue your bazillion requests.
The alternative is that CHECKOUT/CHECKIN fail because some client has a VCR
locked and you cannot honour the auto 'latest' for them -- even assuming
that you know on which server the VCR resides and can modify it.