Re: VERSION-CONTROL on an existing resource

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <geoffrey.clemm@rational.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:16:01 -0500 (EST)
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org

   From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>

   On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:38:49AM -0500, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:
   >    From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
   >
   >    Section 9.1.1 shows the use of a VERSION-CONTROL on an existing resource.
   >    However, it responds with a 201 (Created). I'm thinking that it should be a
   >    200 (OK) or a 204 (No Content) since it is not creating the Request-URI.
   >
   > I agree.  I'd prefer just the 200(OK).  I'll make this change if nobody
   > objects.

   Are you interested in formalizing the response at all, to provide the
   relevant URIs?
   (I'm just so-so on it, but others might want the extra feature)

I'm medium to strongly against adding info like the version history
or initial version URL to the VERSION-CONTROL response.  Many clients
won't need this information, and clients that do need it will often
need more than that, so they'll have to issue a PROPFIND or property
report request anyway.