Newbie Versioning Question

From: Edeen, Eric <eedeen@pesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:51:15 -0700
To: "'ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org'" <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Hello,

I have (what I hope) is a relatively straight forward question regarding the
Delta-V versioning model. Does the spec require implementations to support
version branching, i.e., versions with two or more successors? Can an
implementation that supports only linear version still be compliant with the
standard? Does the spec allow an implementation to simply fail a CHECKOUT
operation on a versioned resource when the target is not the tip in a linear
version series? If so, what would be the appropriate response code and body?

I note that earlier versions of the spec contained references to a
<DAV:branch-ok> element. This seems to imply that some consideration was
given to this question in the past. Am I understanding this correctly? If
so, what ever became of it?

-Eric Edeen
eedeen@pesolutions.com