Re: Registering GBK and GB18030 in the IANA charset registry - MIME suitability

Bruno Haible wrote:

> imply that mails should better be sent in UTF-8 encoding than in
> GB18030 encoding. Because then the interoperability with mailers that
> don't include a GB18030 converter is increased.
>
> Therefore I would suggest to remove the "suitable for use in MIME"
> sentence.

In terms of the IANA registration and of RFC 2978, "suitable for use in MIME" only requires a byte-based encoding where CR and LF have the usual ASCII control code values and byte values of 0 are only used for the NUL control code.
This makes GB 18030 "suitable for use in MIME".
The exact conditions are listed in RFC 2045.

The registration does not call for how easy it is to support a charset...

markus