Re: Registration of new character set

From: Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:01:28 -0700
To: charsets <ietf-charsets@iana.org>
I have a general question about this:

It appears that this encoding is only used in IMAP headers.
It is not (intended to be) used anywhere else, right?

Then why does this need to be registered as a charset?
It is confined to one single protocol, well defined in that context, and otherwise not exchanged, so it does not need to be declared anywhere.

There are many ad-hoc "encodings" that are protocol-specific, not used outside their protocols, and therefore do not need to be registered as charsets - witness the current discussion about ways to squeeze Unicode into domain names. Those "ACEs" do not need to be registered.

If it _is_ registered, I would go for "IMAP-mailbox-name". A full registration proposal should note "limited" use.

Sincerely,
markus

PS: I _did_ read RFC 2060 "5.1.3.  Mailbox International Naming Convention" (p. 14)