Re[2]: Registration of new charset

Dear Harald,

1.   Attached please find the application in ASCII format.

2.   Big5 is a Chinese coding scheme which is based on the traditional Chinese
character set and commonly used in Taiwan and Hong Kong.  Originally, Big5
coding scheme is developed in Taiwan and contains 13,053 characters.  A common
shortcoming of Big5 is that it does not cover a fair number of characters
commonly used in Hong Kong.  In order to cater the need of information exchange
in Chinese among Hong Kong communities, Government of the Hong Kong Special
Administrative Region have built up a set of Chinese characters, i.e. the Hong
Kong Supplementary Character Set (HKSCS) to encompass common characters which
have not been included in the Big5 coding scheme.  4702 HKSCS characters have
been added in the User-defined Area of the Big5 coding scheme.  After the
release of HKSCS, it has been widely adopted by the market, the public and the
Government.

3.   If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks.

Regards
Nicky Yick
Acting Systems Manager
Information Technology Services Department
Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

(See attached file: Submisson to IANA.txt)

Harald Alvestrand <Harald@Alvestrand.no> on 29/08/2000 10:18:00 PM