W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > ietf-charsets@w3.org > April to June 2000

Co-authorship of charsets BCP

From: Dan Kohn <dan@dankohn.com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:50:03 -0700
To: "'ned.freed@innosoft.com'" <ned.freed@innosoft.com>
Cc: "'iesg@ietf.org'" <iesg@ietf.org>, "'ietf-charsets@iana.org'" <ietf-charsets@iana.org>
Message-id: <25D0C66E6D25D311B2AC0008C7913EE0AE51FF@tdmail2.teledesic.com>
Ned, I have no doubt whatsoever that Jon would fully approve of this
(relatively minor) update.  I also think he would be touched by the
statement of leaving him as a co-author.

However, I think you should still remove him as a co-author because of the
negative precedent it sets.  Even if one is certain that one's co-authors
would approve of a change to a draft, it should still be obligatory to get
their approval before submitting a draft with them named as co-author.
Unless Jon had approved of the final draft before he passed away and you had
not made any edits since then, I think it would be inappropriate.

I see this as a more basic ethical issue involving any publication or
attribution of authorship, in that an author should either be given the
chance to approve the *final* version or it should be clear that the work,
though based on theirs, is not fully attributable to them.  (However, I by
no means would imply any intentional ethical failing here; just a difference
in opinion on the importance of the precedent set.)

Instead, I would suggest a more detailed than normal homage to Jon in the

		- dan
Daniel Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
tel:+1-425-602-6222  fax:+1-425-602-6223

-----Original Message-----
From: The IESG [mailto:iesg-secretary@ietf.org]
Sent: Wednesday, 2000-05-03 05:07
Subject: Last Call: IANA Charset Registration Procedures to BCP

The IESG has received a request to consider IANA Charset Registration
Procedures <draft-freed-charset-regist-01.txt> as a BCP, replacing RFC
2278 (currently a BCP). This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not
the product of an IETF Working Group.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
iesg@ietf.org or ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by June 2, 2000.

Files can be obtained via
Received on Friday, 5 May 2000 23:17:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:52:17 UTC