Re: Charlint (aka charlie)

At 13:42 99/07/13 +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> At 16:34 13.07.99 +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> >I'm glad to announce the availability of 'charlint' (aka 'charlie')
> >at http://www.w3.org/International/charlint/.
> >Future announcements (in particular upgrades and bug fixes)
> >will also be published on www-international@w3.org.

> Unicode TR 15 refers to an Unicode character database for composition.
> Is this database changing with every new amendment to the base standard,
> or is it a stable reference that can be compiled into programs?
>
> If it is unstable, how does charlint deal with it?

There are various aspects:

- Decompositions for existing characters are supposed not to change.
  TR 15 significantly increases the pressure to not change.

- Decompositions for newly defined precomposed characters are dealt with
  by keeping these characters decomposed in the normalized form. If
  charlint meets a character it doesn't know (an undefined codepoint),
  it can warn or abort.

- Support for 'compiling' is currently not part of charlint, but it
  is an idea for future work.

Regards,  Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org