Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-utf16-03.txt

At 17:06 99/04/21 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> We think this draft covers all the issues discussed here since the last
> draft. Please let us know if there are any outstanding issues; otherwise,
> we'll go to complete this soon.

Of course, I have a few more nits, you would have guessed it, wouldn't you?

First, your anouncement went to ietf-types, which is no longer the right
list for these things. So everybody here on ietf-charsets, please have
a look at the draft and send in your comments soon, so that we can finally
get this done (it's something like a three-year story :-(.

My actual comments:

1.1 Background...:
  - Remove first comma in first sentence

just before 2.1 Encoding of UTF-16:
  - Add: Note: Values between 0xD800 and 0xDFFF are specifically reserved
    for use with UTF-16, and don't have any characters assigned to them.
    [I think this helps understanding]

3. Labeling...:
  - Expand the acronyms CCS and CES, e.g. CCS (Coded Character Set)

  - contains registration -> contains registrations

  - put in a cross-reference to Appendix A for the registrations

just before 3.2:
  - "it is likely that little-endian order will also be used"
    it is already used, both in general and for UTF-16. Change to
    "little-endian order is also [[sometimes] used | in use] on
    the Internet".

just before 3.3:
  - some specifications mandate: This is worded in a general way,
    but does not cover other possibilities (e.g. that the BOM is
    needed and a part of the object,...). I propose to change this
    to:
    Some specifications, e.g. for mime content types, may mandate
    a particular treatment of the BOM, i.e. they might require that
    an object starts with an 0xFEFF, which is not part of the
    object itself. Such provisions create undesired interdependencies
    between the character encoding/transport layer and the encoding
    of the object itself, and should therefore be avoided wherever
    possible.

just before 3.4:
  - An (unfortunate) exception ...: This is again too specific.
    I propose to replace it with:
    In cases where higher-level specifications, e.g. for mime content
    types, mandate a particular treatment of endianness and the BOM,
    only the appropriate labels MUST be used. As an example, if a
    specification requires an object to start with a BOM to identify
    endianness, only the "UTF-16" tag must be used.

5. Example:

  - please change 0x00012345 to 0x12345 (and ideally likewise remove
    all leading zeros in all examples refering to character values
    (as opposed to byte/16-bit/... values)).