Deprecating charset "unicode-1-1"

From: Deborah Goldsmith <goldsmith@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:27:54 -0700
Cc: Rick McGowan <rmcgowan@apple.com>
The Unicode Consortium Technical Committee (UTC) has asked me to look into
what would be involved in deprecating the character set titled
"unicode-1-1". This character set was registered in conjunction with RFC
1641, "Using Unicode with MIME".

This 16-bit character set is obsolete because it is based on an older
version of Unicode which the UTC would prefer people not use. The preferred
charsets that applications should use are UTF-16, UTF-16BE, and UTF-16LE.
Their definition and usage recommendations are in the Internet Draft
draft-hoffman-utf16-02.txt.

Is it possible to deprecate or invalidate an existing, registered character
set? What process would be involved? Should we be looking at some other
process to discourage use of "unicode-1-1"?

Thank you in advance,
--
Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group