Re: Charset reviewer appointed

At 13:42 98/07/27 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> The BOM is part of the charset that UTF-16 represents.
> Any application can say anything it wants to *further restricting*
> what characters can apply where; the part we couldn't tolerate
> was if XML insisted upon strings that were *illegal* in the registered
> UTF-16, yet calling the charset "UTF-16".

Harald, could you be more precise?

Of course, if XML says e.g. that a character sequence such as
"<<<<>>>>" is not legal XML, that's its own business.

But e.g. for the use of the "charset" parameter in transcoding
proxies/gateways for HTTP and email, I'm very affraid that if
one application (e.g. text/abc) requires the BOM to be present,
and another (e.g. text/xyz) requires it to be absent, this will
lead to very undesirable complications.

Regards,   Martin.

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)