Re: Registration of new charset "UTF-16"

Martin;

> > Larry Masinter wrote:
> > > So far, I'm not aware of _any_ implementation of a browser _or_ a server
> > > that support UTF-16, much less two implementations of each that have
> > > been tested to be interoperable.
> >
> > Today, I made a UTF-16 HTML document in Japanese.
>
> The requirements on servers is obviously extremely low. The only thing
> they have to be able to do is to spit out some binary data, and label it.
> Spitting out works since HTTP 0.9. Labeling data shouldn't be a problem.

Wrong.

Such labeling of data is explicitely forbidden for text types of MIME,
which means that UTF-* and related RFCs are wrong and they are not
MIME charsets.

> If somebody claims that it doesn't work, s/he probably hasn't tried
> hard enough.

The proper interpretation is that they (including you) have worked
too hard to admit that you have failed and wasted expenses spend
on your "hard" work.

> If we ignore for the moment the differences between UTF-16 and UCS-2

Unicode 2.0 and 3.0 are totally different, though the difference is not
enough to revise Unicode to be a MIME charset.

							Masataka Ohta

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)