Re: Your draft about iso-2022-jp

Kenzaburou Tamaru (kenzat@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com)
Sun, 31 Aug 1997 21:25:55 -0700

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 21:25:55 -0700
From: "Kenzaburou Tamaru (Exchange)" <kenzat@EXCHANGE.MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: RE: Your draft about iso-2022-jp
To: 'Masataka Ohta' <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
Cc: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, handa@etlken.etl.go.jp, erik@netscape.com,

Ohtan-san,

	>Or, do you want to have a charset name with which you can use
	>ASCII, JIS X 0201, JIS X 0208 and JIS X 0212, but nothing more
	>than that?
I do not persist in adding JIS X 0212 to the ISO-2022-JP, even do not
persist in using tag ISO-2022-JP. What I am thinking is, if
"ISO-2022-something"(RFC - something) could say something like:
(i.e)
- in case of unkown designator is used, all characters should be
replaced with '?' until known/valid designator appears.
- new character set (could be JIS X 0213) could be added in addition to
what this document defines in the future.
I am hoping standard to keep remaining the room for future enhancement
somehow. (JIS X 0213 should be in the scope of future enhancement.) If
someone have better idea, and it plan is going on.I glad to follow
his/her plan.

Since I spent most of my life in X.400/500 stuff, am new in the Internet
world. My draft might just surprise many people. I approgize in that
case. Please do not misunderstand me, I am not complaining today's
ISO-2022-JP related RFCs, but hoping to be able to have constructive
dicussion for future email system.

Thanks
-Ken

--Boundary (ID uEbHHWxWEwCKT9wM3evJ5w)