explicit control of history mechanisms

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 15:06:20 PST
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: http-caching@pa.dec.com
    > Shel adds:
    >     At the meeting we discussed whether we believed it would be
    >     reasonable or advisable to think about adding protocol elements to
    >     explicitly control history mechanisms, such as (for instance) a
    >     directive to prevent the entry of a document into a history
    >     buffer.  Surprisingly (as I had thought the consensus was
    >     otherwise) people seemed to agree that it was reasonable to
    >     consider some options in this area. We didn't discuss it further.

    I am surprised as well.  When it was discussed on the WG, there was
    near universal agreement that the server has no business messing with
    the browser's history function.  The only thing I would ever find
    acceptable in that regard would be a "don't write this data to disk"
    statement for secure applications, but the fact is that those
    applications will already have a better mechanism for saying such a
    thing as part of the security negotiation.

As it stands now, nothing is going to happen here unless someone
takes a lead.  Shel, since you seem to think this is important,
I nominate you to put forward a specific written proposal, including
a concise rationale for why you think it is necessary.

-Jeff