How to get tidy updated in various distribution channels?

Cross post this on the public list

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:  How to get tidy updated in various distribution channels?
Date:  Mon, 28 Sep 2015 15:27:11 +0200
From:  Geoff McLane <ubuntu@geoffair.info>
To:  Edward Vielmetti <edward.vielmetti@gmail.com>, Sierk Bornemann
<sierkb@gmail.com>
CC:  tidy@geoffair.info, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign@macports.org>

Hi Sierk,

As Edward points out, thanks largely to him, we have
the Apple platform well covered, but it would be nice
if Apple also weighed in ;=))

But there is a real problem with Ubuntu (Debian)! And
probably LOTS of other package distributions...

I just checked synaptic in my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and it
still lists libtidy-0.99, circa 2009 ;=(( YUK!!!

I checked around LaunchPad - https://launchpad.net/tidy -
and found this still points to sourceforge 2009 tidy,
home page and source! UGH!

How do we change that? I do not fully understand how
these things work, having not used them before...

But maybe we should write to Curtis Hovey (maybe
curtis@canonical.com?)? Direct approach... maybe cc
him on this...

Or maybe there is a way to file for a badly needed
package update??? Where?

And the page - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+source/tidy -
also shows 2009 Tidy, despite the fact that an update
(Ha!) was done 2015-07-23!!! Nearly a month after our
5.0.0 release...

We certainly need to STIR something up somewhere ;=))

Important Links:

     site: http://www.html-tidy.org/
     source: https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5
     binaries: http://www.htacg.org/binaries/