Solicit feedback on Script Parsing

(first posted on https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-htacg-contrib/2015Jan/0003.html)

Cross-posted to
[1]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-htacg/ (public-htacg@w3.org)
[2]: https://sourceforge.net/p/tidy/mailman/tidy-develop (tidy-develop@lists.sourceforge.net)
[3]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/html-tidy/ (html-tidy@w3.org)

Good day list subscribers:

I’m re-posting this to the larger set of mailing lists so that we can determine your expectations for Tidy behavior. It was first posted by Geoff (as above), and there’s some continuing discussion in the bug tracker at https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5/issues/65. You can find more background on this discussion in both locations (i.e., the list and the issues tracker).

This solicitation is to ask for your feedback on what the desired, default behaviour for Tidy should be given certain conditions.

Geoff’s latest proposal (quoted from https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-htacg-contrib/2015Jan/0005.html):

>No it probably does NOT effect very many... and as
>you point out is a VERY OLD BUG, since LONG before the
>2009 release...
>
>As mentioned in my previous post, I will find the
>time to review my now OLD patch, update it, and
>cut it into Tidy5...
>
>At this time I do NOT see the need for another
>configuration option... just give Tidy the ability
>to skip over '<', '>' if in a script block, and in
>single or double quotes, and even skip comments
>
>And yes, if there is a need for an option, then it
>should default on, only offering the ability to
>turn it off... but why would you want that given the
>MESS Tidy will then generate...

Public feedback appreciated on any of these lists or in the issue tracker. Thanks!

Jim Derry