Re: Bug: Tidy tab replacement in <pre> elements

From: Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:29:18 -0700 (MST)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Warren Block wrote:
>> <PRE
>> CLASS="PROGRAMLISTING"
>>> 	  struct driver {
>
> This is tab space space.
>
>> 		KOBJ_CLASS_FIELDS;
>> 		void	*priv;			/* driver private data */
>> 	  };</PRE
>
> This space tab space space.
>
>> <pre class="PROGRAMLISTING">
>>          struct driver {
>>                 KOBJ_CLASS_FIELDS;
>>                 void    *priv;                  /* driver private data
>> */
>>           };
>> </pre>
>> ----
>>
>> Note that there are only *nine* spaces instead of ten before "struct",
>> and it no longer aligns with the closing bracket.
>
> In your mail I see ten spaces before struct and eleven spaces before the
> closing curly bracket.

Could be email client display or quoting.  The sample file at
http://www.wonkity.com/tidy/pretab.html is fixed now, so it renders
correctly in a browser.  Same result after tidy, too.

> I can reproduce what I just described, basically the problem would be
> that the closing `>` for the <pre> start tag isn't ignored during tab
> replacement?

Sounds reasonable.

> It would be good if you could raise this bug on the SourceForge tracker
> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=27659&atid=390963>, but you
> will notice there is a long backlog and not much activity.

I did try to add it earlier, but it wanted me to create a sourceforge
account.  Having done that, I think this bug may be the same thing:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1885471&group_id=27659&atid=390963

Should I still enter a new one?

Thanks for the quick response!